Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Room Transformation Before and After - Dining and Kitchen

This is a project that developed from the bathroom remodel I mentioned several days ago.  The old expression, "One thing leads to another...." was definitely true here.  When we changed our bathroom, we decided on a new white door, which naturally meant that the entire dining room needed to be changed from dark pine to white bead-board, right?

Here's what the dining room looked like BEFORE:


Notice the new WHITE door in the middle of all that pine paneling? Busy wallpaper border was 13 years old and I was tired of it.

In this picture you can see the cute new bathroom peeking out. This room was begging to be refreshed!


AFTER:  I went with a continuation of the cottage look, and painted the woodwork all white, including the ceiling.  After much deliberation and research, I went with an oil-based primer to prevent the pines knots from bleeding through in the future.  Over that I used good quality paint (Benjamin Moore Satin Impervo). The room looked twice as big when I was finished!


The wall color is "Almost Heaven" and won the family vote after we looked at several samples on the wall.  The vintage signs are from a little shop I found while vacationing up north. The smaller one says, "Traverse City - Delightful Days" and reminds me of wonderful vacations spent there. The new light fixture was another fun find, called a "milk can lid" style.


Here's another view, from the living room.
BEFORE


And AFTER:


Since "one thing leads to another," it was also mandatory to continue this look into the kitchen, which is connected closely to the dining room.  Here's how it turned out:


Big difference isn't it?  Now I need new dining room furniture. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment