Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Book Review: The Artist's Daughter by Alexandra Kuykendall

This book captured my attention immediately because that adorable girl on the cover looks quite a bit like my darling niece.  Once I examined it a little more closely, I was intrigued by the summary on the back and decided to read it.


It's rare for me to find a memoir that I can hardly put down, but that was my reaction to this book. Alexandra Kuykendall has written an amazingly transparent recounting of her life as a fatherless girl.  She writes of her first meeting at age eight with her father in France, and how the void left by his absence has impacted her at all phases of her life. In spite of her mother's constant love, she still wonders if she is truly loved.  Even after she became a Christian, Alexandra continued to struggle with feelings of inadequacy.

At times I wanted to cry while reading, because I could feel the emotional pain she tried so hard to bury, and I could truly understand where that was coming from.  Though my story is a bit different than hers, I had a few "aha" moments for myself.  The perfectionism that can result from father-issues is something I relate to.

I highly recommend this book for Christian women. Alexandra's story is just plain interesting, but more than that it caused me to look inside and ask some good/hard questions.  It also helped me realize that everyone has a story, and when I meet someone, I need to take the time to listen and hear where they have come from in order to understand who they are.

Get it from Revell Publishing or at any online bookseller.



No comments:

Post a Comment